Webinar Length: 1 Hour
Purpose and Background
This webinar offers information and ideas to help you connect with others, make impactful presentations, and communicate confidently in person and in writing. Successful engineering begins and ends with a deep understanding of effective communication practices. It is not enough to communicate one way; engineers must be able to clearly articulate their ideas, be empathetic, and engage in two-way dialogue effectively. Communication Skills for Engineers provides a powerful framework and tool set to help you communicate well across cultures, generations, and genders.
This webinar is designed to enhance participants’ communication skills, enabling clear information to be delivered in an effective and persuasive way. It also aims to guide highly skilled technical professionals to tailor their messages to non-technical audiences. The knowledge and skills presented in this webinar can be applied across industries and in a variety of professional settings.
Upon completion of this webinar, you will be able to:
- Generate and present ideas that clearly articulate concepts and plans, applying lessons learned, defining potential impact, and outlining a customer service-oriented approach to message delivery.
- Assess end-to-end communication practices and related challenges to increase the likelihood of success in communicating about sensitive or emotionally charged topics.
- Confidently present ideas to decision-makers in presentations, meetings, and reports.
- Effectively communicate ideas and persuade others.
Specific Knowledge or Skill Obtained
This webinar teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Critical thinking skills used to evaluate, refine, and select communication practices by topic and audience.
- Communication best practices including identifying the audience, developing the strategy, selecting the channels, and creating the messaging.
- Techniques for communicating with your supervisor, peers, and the public.
Assessment of Learning Outcomes
Certificate of Completion
Participants’ achievement of the learning outcomes will be assessed via a multiple-chose quiz consisting of 10 questions.
This webinar applies to licensed professional engineers, technical, and other business professionals.
- Engineers and technical professionals as communicators
- Communication and its components
- Barriers to communication
- Effective communication
- Non-verbal communication
- Getting your message across
- Asking meaningful questions
- Making successful presentations
- Good business writing
- Writing well
Earn Your Professional Development Hours and Get Your Certificate of Completion
You will be able to immediately print a certificate of completion after passing an online post-test with a passing score of 70% or higher. PDH credits are only awarded after course completion and successful passing of the quiz. This webinar earns 1 PDH upon successful completion of the quiz.